Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 08:33:20 +1000
From:      "Andrew Reilly" <reilly@zeta.org.au>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

On Sun, Sep 20, 1998 at 01:23:42PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > 	http://www.sco.com/udi/
>
> UDI is a reasonably nice framework.  Someone with some time on their
> hands might want to try implementing it for FreeBSD.  Last time I read
> the drafts, there were still significant omissions, particularly
> addressing the way that a UDI driver might integrate with the system
> (eg. driver lookup, dependancy management, etc.)

Any chance of a comment on those who've had a look at UDI on
whether it allows or thwarts hard-real-time concerns?

There seems to be a move among printer and modem manufacturers (not
to mention various multi-media entertainments) to push a lot of
the real-time control onto PC drivers, and it would be nice to
allow the possibility of support for these.

Is a UDI on QNX implementation possible, for example?

(I know FreeBSD itself doesn't care just yet, but moves are
afoot, aren't they?)

--
Andrew