Date:      Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:02:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jailNG

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Robert Watson wrote:

> The jail() code doesn't allow user applications to open raw sockets
> permitting direct use of ICMP by user processes, but all of the normal use
> of ICMP by the network stack directly is uninhibited.  This means that
> things like PMTU discovery work just fine, but applications such as ping
> do not work in jail().  It's possible to imagine modifications to the raw
> socket behavior that might permit use of it from within jail(), but
> there's a whole can of worms there that we're not willing to spend too
> much time on at this point.

Ok. I wasn't sure. I couldnt believe it would block
ICMP. I knew there was a logical system with its behaviour. I actually
like the current way then. I see jail as a virtual hosting env. more then
anything else. Thanks for the explanation.

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"