Date:      Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:28:44 -0700
From:      =?unknown-8bit?Q?S=EAr=EAciya_Kurdistan=EE?= <sereciya@kurdistan.ath.cx>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Memory Pages Not Locked?

--eDB11BtaWSyaBkpc

Hello,

  I recently installed "gpnupg" from the ports collection and
  upon running it (after the key generation), I found myself
  seeing the following error:

  gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

  ... Those of you who are impatient and think that this is a
   gpg &| port specific problem, please be patient and read on ...

  from: http://www.gnupg.org/documentation/faqs.html#q6.1
  Here's what the GPG FAQ says:

 "6.1) Why do I get "gpg: Warning: using insecure memory!

  On many systems this program should be installed as setuid.
  This is necessary to lock memory pages. Locking memory pages
  prevents the operating system from writing them to disk and
  thereby keeping your secret keys really secret. If you get
  no warning message about insecure memory your operating
  system supports locking without being root. The program
  drops root privileges as soon as locked memory is allocated."

  I would like to know if FreeBSD does indeed lack the
  functionality to lock memory pages, does it?

  If not... how come then?  Is this not something important,
  especially from a security standpoint?

  And if it does... how come I recieved this error then?

  Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone who may reply/post
  useful comments & suggestions..., thank you!

--$=EAr=EAciya Kurdistan=EE
| Welat xwe ava nake, dest bidin hevdu, pist nedin tu dijmin=EE  |
|   Riya azadiy=EA ne h=EAsan e, h=EAviya xwe bernedin, dema me      |
|     n=EAz=EEk e.                                                 |
| Hevalt=EE bi kes=EAn du r=FB nekin, hevalt=EE bi hevdu ra bikin      |
|   Ne ji hevaltiya wan kes=EAn p=EAxwas =FB r=FB dir=EAj, ne bi wan     |
|     kes=EAn xw=EEnperest, ne j=EE ji y=EAn din.                      |
|                                   -$=EAr=EAciya Kurdistan=EE       |
  translation provided on request: sereciya at kurdistan.ath.cx

--eDB11BtaWSyaBkpc

--eDB11BtaWSyaBkpc--