Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 11:39:06 -0400
From:      "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>
Cc:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>:
> I think that Eric has, by inference, chosen to speak for all of us by
> putting up the OpenSource pages and if that's the case then he'd
> either better START speaking for all of us or find a number of arrows
> fired in his direction from the very community he's claiming to
> support.  Will that better the cause of free software or make us look
> any more professional in the eyes of the "Wall Street fatcats" he
> claims to be courting here?  No, it most definitely will not, and if
> Eric really DOES have an eye for the "bigger picture" as he claims
> here, he'll wake up and realize this before creating yet another
> unwonted and destructive schism in the free software community.

This is really rich.  It boils down to "Do things my way or I'll
throw a public tantrum just to make us all look like squabbling
pre-schoolers."

Jordan is now displaying the kind of superb advocacy and people skills
that blew BSD's technical lead and left the leading position in the
open-source community lying in the road for the Linux people to pick up.

My roots are in BSD (4.1c on a Vax back in 1982).  BSD is the only
Unix I have kernel code in (I wrote your speaker driver).  But you
guys remind me of that British diplomat's crack about the Palestinians
-- "they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity".  From the
days of Jolix onwards you've been your own worst enemies, wasting your
energy on feuds and bickering and founding the
spinoff-group-of-the-week instead of getting the job done.

Now Jordan is threatening to do it again.  How very intelligent.
--

The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant
that government governs only with the consent of the governed.