Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 13:31:35 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue2@welearn.com.au>
To:        Kerby Smith <kerby@bengali.npl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Newbies [was: quotes]

On Sun, Jun 07, 1998 at 02:25:10PM -0500, Kerby Smith wrote:

> first of all, do i post questions to "freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org" or do i
> post them to "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org"???

Always post your FreeBSD questions to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.
That is the only list that deals with general questions and help for FreeBSD.

> i think i only subscribed to freebsd-newbies, cause a friend told
> me i should.

Good idea, but you will want to read freebsd-questions too. Why bother
asking common questions when you can read other people's answers :-)

> should i also subscribe to freebsd-questions too? im sorry for the stupid
> question, but im new to mailing lists too as u can see :(

OK, freebsd-newbies is for anything newbies want that they can't do in
freebsd-questions. That means freebsd-newbies is ideal for getting practice
with using mailing lists, and for asking for help with using the FreeBSD
mailing lists (which ones?) or email in general (formatting, quoting, etc).
We can also steer you towards the kind of documentation that newbies can
use, to save you a bit of searching.

> im just kinda confused and dont know if i send to freebsd-newbies if it'll
> even go anywhere, thanks alot

There's a lot of newbies sitting around quietly waiting for you to come
over and say
"Hi, I just did my first installation. It looked so hard but everything fell into place... until I forgot to take the floppy disk out, hehe, that had me stumped for two days! OK, I've got this nice # prompt now.
Where do I go to find out what to do next? Isn't there supposed to be a GUI with this? I don't even know what it's called ('man windows' did nothing).
BTW, does anyone know how to make my lines wrap properly in dagmail for DOS?"

In freebsd-questions they're waiting for you to say something like
"FreeBSD has been running fine on my pentium since I installed version
2.2.5 from the CD last week. Yesterday I installed hal-1.2.tgz from the
CD and ever since then whenever I type 'startx' at the prompt it calls me
Dave and says I can't do that. The mail archives at
http://www.freebsd.org/search.html came up with no clues. There doesn't
seem to be a man page for hal and it's not mentioned in the man page for X.
How can I get around this?"

see also
http://www.freebsd.org/newbies.html  for a guided tour of our resources
http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/ for freebsd-newbies help info