Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 15:00:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/34038

The following reply was made to PR docs/34038; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>,
	FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 18:08:48 -0500

 Szilveszter Adam wrote:

 > The following reply was made to PR docs/34038; it has been noted by GNATS.
 >
 > From: Szilveszter Adam <sziszi@bsd.hu>
 > To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
 > Subject: Re: docs/34038
 > Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 23:40:05 +0100
 >
 >  Hello,
 >
 >  On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:10:37PM -0500, Tom Rhodes wrote:
 >  > I am going to defend the hours of work I did on this document...
 >
 >  Understandable:-)
 >
 >  > Okie, may I do this though?  I hope as the author my reasons will be as
 >  > worthwhile has his!
 >
 >  Sure! I read your mail with great interest!
 >
 >  > http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj
 >  >
 >  > and I wish to point out Nik Clayton's document suggestion method: tar,
 >  > gzip, uuencode.  For more information about submitting documentation for
 >  > the Docproj, please see the docproj webpage about submitting
 >  > documentation located at:
 >  > http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/submitting.html
 >  > I know thats kinda cut short, but in essance sums up the uuencode and
 >  > the gzip.  Many people have submitted uuencoded zipped files and have
 >  > had ABSOLUTLY no problems.
 >
 >  OK I take it back then. (Sigh) I still think that tar-ing a single file
 >  is overkill, simply uuencoding it would have even preserved the indent,
 >  but since it is not a patch, even that is not that important. I was just
 >  thinking along the line: Make it easy for me to deal with it without
 >  going over a lot of steps to decode it first. But if it is in the docs,
 >  I shall shut up:-)

 Perhaps would have been easier, but I felt it may have been more
 approprate ;)

 >  > From the mergemaster(8) man page, under DESCRIPTION, and an exact quote:
 >  > "mergemaster is a Bourne shell script which is designed to aid you in
 >  > updating the various configuration and other files associated with FreeBSD."
 >  >
 >  > If in some point and time, bash and Bourne again somehow demerged, I
 >  > think that many universities, companies, oganizations, and other
 >  > entities are very miss informed...
 >
 >  <...>
 >
 >  > See my above statement... I'm almost positive that mergemaster(8) is in
 >  > the base system.
 >
 >  Well, this seems like a case of "miss informed" (sic!) statement then. The
 >  Bourne shell is not bash. Bash is the Bourne *Again* Shell. The confusion
 >  is even made bigger by the fact that many Linux distros simply symlink
 >  sh to bash. But our /bin/sh is not bash, I can tell you.

 Then we should s/bash/Bourne/ as it is listed as a "Bourne shell script"
 in the manual page.  So changing it to Bourne is not a hassle, the main
 point I think is that its still a shell script lol, and I didn't want to
 frighten anyone with "oh no, large merging program/process"  :)

 >  > From the handbook: CTM uses a push method, cvsup uses a pull method, so
 >  > its obvious that CTM is more friendly on the server bandwidth...
 >
 >  You are correct but I do not talk about the server side. When you
 >  upgrade your system, you are just using the server. I was talking about
 >  the client side, as I assume you were too in the article.

 I tried to cover "both" lol

 >  > I actually tested this on a 2.2.5 cd that came with an older version of
 >  > "The Complete FreeBSD" written by core member Greg Lehey, took some of
 >  > the information from /usr/src/Makefile, and even read over various
 >  > materials associated with my project.  I even went as far, as to read
 >  > over Greg's methods and information... and talked with a few developers
 >  > on the issue.
 >
 >  Well if you did test this then I apologise. I still think that it is not
 >  the "supported" method though, there were times when you could not
 >  upgrade even from 3.4 to say 4.2 via "make world" without first going
 >  through 3.x->3.5.1-STABLE->4.0->4.2. It was discussed several times on
 >  the mailing lists that if it works otherwise OK but if you have
 >  problems, always try this way before complaining. I think docs should be
 >  "safe" and document only the supported methods.

 Could go into the "if it fails" method ;)

 >  > Umm, the Handbook is where I obtained most of my refs, and I will agree
 >  > that the handbook lacks upgrading information, but it is one of the
 >  > things on my to do list.  Unfortunatly, like many, I also lack many free
 >  > hours that could be put to better use.
 >
 >  I think we have a misunderstanding here. I think that the Handbook very
 >  much has info on upgrading, although it probably could be improved. But
 >  this article does not add much to what is already in the Handbook. If
 >  you read the various chapters on installation, on obtaining FreeBSD, on
 >  staying up to date with FreeBSD under "The Cutting Edge", and on using make
 >  world in the same chapter, you will see that almost all is there
 >  already, including stuff you did not describe like CTM, only the "make
 >  upgrade" part is missing. Of course it is nice that you have it now in
 >  one article instead of all over the Handbook, but it is still IMHO
 >  duplication. That is why it is IMHO better idea to just patch the
 >  existing Handbook... also, as I said, some people may prefer shorter
 >  tutorials instead of the Handbook but that is a different story.

 Truely, but scattered about, and in no way a real "step by step"
 walkthrough, and it does not cover what to do in an a.out situation.  It
 is also a listed project on the docproj webpage, my attempt was to clean
 up the current projects.  Also, I never covered CTM as we need the
 entire source, when I FTP to the CTM directory, the readme tells me that
 its no longer supported.  Emailing the developer (Kemp) got me a reply
 very similar.  Large attempts were made NOT to duplicate information,
 even to the point of taking a few things deeper than I figured required.
   Since I wrote this though, I have submitted chunchs of information
 about cvsup and other upgrade parts to the handbook, which I think has
 maybe helped that along.

 Enjoy,

 --
 Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes