Date:      Sun, 01 Oct 2000 01:06:11 +0100
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install from 4.1 CDROM failed

media@mail1.nai.net wrote:

>I have a 133 Pentium (Compaq Deskpro 4000) on which I had previously
>installed 3.4 from CD-ROM.  My CR-ROM drive is a Creative 5230E.  I =
don't
>have a SCSI card.  I just received _The FreeBSD Handbook_ from Walnut
>Creek which came with the 4.1 CD-ROM (I thought it was going to contain
>other software that went with the Handbook when I ordered it).  Anyway,
>since didn't have too many files of my own in my FreeBSD partition, =
needed
>the newer version of XFree86 to work with my video card, and 4.1 is
>regarded as an improvement over 3.4, I decided to install it.
=46reeBSD-4.1 still uses XFree86-3.x by default (/stand/sysinstall).  =
Though
the port of XFree86-4.0.1 works well for me.

>It failed and gave the following:
>
>All filesystem information written successfully.
>Creating emergency holographic shell on VTY4.
>
>anic: lockmgr: non-zero exclusive count
>Syncing disks . . . panic: lockmgr: non-zero exclusive count
>Uptime 10m18s
>Automatic reboot in 15 seconds -- press any key on the console to abort.
>
>I tried it twice again.  I tried different install options.  I tried
>changing the sizes of my slices.  I got the same message.
>
>I have checked the Release Notes, Errata, _The FreeBSD Hanbook_, and =
_The
>Complete FreeBSD_ (Third Edition).  I did not find a reference to this
>problem.  If you have a rtfm reply to this, please be very specific.
>
>Any ideas what might be wrong??  Could it be a bad CD-ROM??  It is dated
>AUGUST 2000, and says "DOC-24927-1 BSD4.1.1 / WALNUT CREEK CDROM" along =
the
>inscript.
That sounds very recent for a CD, so there shouldn't be a problem.

>I thought perhaps the existing FreeBSD data from my 3.4 install might be
>causing the problem.  I figured the FreeBSD installer would erase
>everything when it created new slices, but just to be sure, I booted in
>MS-DOS, removed the FreeBSD partition with fdisk, created a new Extended
>DOS partition from with all the space available outside my Primary DOS
>partition, rebooted, reformatted it as DOS, then removed it again.  That
>should have erased everything.
None of which should have been necessary.
Newfs'ing the slice should've sufficed.
Was the '3.4 install on an Extended DOS partition?  Slightly less likely
to have problems with primary partitions, though '4.1 seems to interpret
them ok.  I keep thinking there may be a problem with your BIOS and a
large drive, but then '3.4 worked so it can't be that.

>I tried it again.  It failed.  I got the same message.
>
>The 4.1 installer seems a bit different from the 3.4.  Where did the bad
>block scan go??  The flag is described on the help page (F1), but the
>command is not listed.
I don't remember seeing or needing that.  Perhaps these bad blocks are =
the
problem.

>In one of my four attempts, the Disklabel Editor acted odd.  It said my
>1047MB "/usr" was too big and wouldn't let me set it, then it let me set=
 it
>to the same amount after I deleted "/" and "swap" and added "/usr" =
first.
>Also prompting for Newfs options didn't work.  That seems oddly
>inconsistent.
Providing "/" is at ad0s2a ('ad' is the FreeBSD-4.x IDE driver, =
superseding
the old wd (Western Digital) driver of FreeBSD-3.x fame; '0' is the =
master of
the first IDE port; 's2' is the second slice and 'a' is the first =
partition
where "/" should be.  I think I would always put "/" first though.

You need Newfs if you want to replace the old file system.  I guess...

>My gut feeling is that the FreeBSD partition isn't being formatted
>properly.  I remember the 3.4 taking quite a bit of time to format, =
which I
>don't see the 4.1 installer doing.

It may be that re-formatting was un-necessary until you DOS formatted it.
The process is probably quicker with '4.1: Memory of the relative speed =
of
something is an insignificant symptom.

>THANX!!

Sorry to not have pin-pointed the problem but I need more facts.
How big is it ferinstance.

HTH a little.

John.

PS: You said "FreeBSD CD-ROM" singular.  The last I bought was '3.2 and =
it
was four disks.  Has this changed?