Date:      Sat, 3 Jun 2000 17:21:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jahanur R Subedar <jahanur@jjsoft.com>
To:        Pete Chon <kilroychon@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Private network does not get web browsing

I would think that it is problem with your IE not the
getway setup because the you are able to ping www.yahoo.com.
Try this:
go to command promt and then type in
telnet www.yahoo.com 80
you should be able to make a connection and may be show you some text
till escape character but login promt. If that does not work then
try like this:
telnet www.yahoo.com:80
I forgot the exact way to do it.
Anyway that will tell you if are able to access through that port
or not.
Good Luck

Jahanur

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, Pete Chon wrote:

> I have FreesBSD 4.0 RELEASE on a dual Pentium II 300.
> I have two nics that are the same(Intel Pro 10/100 B).
> Their ips are fxp0 (on PCI slot) - 192.168.100.1 and
> fxp1 (built-on motherboard) - 192.168.100.2
>
> fxp1 is connected to the external adsl modem
> (ethernet). I have Bell Altantic Infospeed (PPPoe).
> fxp0 is connected to the private internal network of 3
> win98 machines.
>
> I think i set up ppp correctly because the win98
> machines can ping www.yahoo.com and other sites,
> telnet to outside servers(rutgers), and icq, BUT I can
> not get the IE browser working. I don't know if it's
> the http port that is not active or if I need a proxy
> program like squid. The firewall is open (completely).
> I have these lines in the rc.firewall:
> /sbin/ipfw -f flush
> /sbin/ipfw add divert natd all from any to any via
> tun0
> /sbin/ipfw add pass all from any to any
>
> I have the win9 boxes configured like this:
> gateway - 192.168.100.1
> dns servers - 151.198.0.39, 151.198.0.38
>
> I don't know why the win98 boxes can't see the web
> browse.
>
> i followed these directions:
> http://node.to/freebsd/how-tos/how-to-freebsd-pppoe.html
> http://www.freebsddiary.org/ipfw.html