Date:      Sun, 4 Jan 1998 21:09:32 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@image.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printing from netscape

On Mon, Jan 05, 1998 at 02:12:04AM +0100, Leif Neland wrote:
> So now I can print from machine darla to the printer on arnold.
> (Thanks Norman Rice and Lee Jonston).
>
> Now I want to print from netscape to the printer, which is a Canon LBP8-III.
>
> Is it Netscape (on darla) which should know the printertype, or is it fbsd
> (on arnold?)?.

Each machine's Netscape needs to know where to print (what /etc/printcap
entry to use).  If you have them defined as `lp', you probably won't
have to change anything within Netscape.

> Does Netscape print in postscript, or bitmap, or what?

Postscript.

> The canon is not postscript, do I need ghostscript? On the printerhost,
> or the client?

Install the apsfilter port on arnold (the machine that is physically
connected to the Canon printer). After installation, arnold should be
able to print text, graphics, and postscript files without user
intervention, i.e., you won't have to think about what you're trying
to print anymore. :-)

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.