Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 21:49:36 -0800
From:      Dale Morris <dlm@well.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   lpd problem

Newbie question..  I've been trying to get printing going on my new bsd
4.5 system and not having too much success. I tried installing cups,
first through the package and then the ports, but that didn't work. So I
installed apsfilter and it printed out a fine testpage. Problem is that
I can't get lpd to start on boot ( or any other way for that matter).

Initially I install KDE and I believe it installed cups base.

Here's what I've done so far..
in etc/rc.conf entered a line.. lpd_enable="YES"

created a file in /usr/local/etc/rc.d called lpd.sh containing:
[ -x /usr/sbin/lpd] && /usr/sbin/lpd && echo -n " lpd"

chmod +x lpd.sh

Of course if I issue the command "whereis lpd" the following is returned:
lpd: /usr/share/man/man8/lpd.8.gz /usr/src/usr.sbin/lpr/lpd

I would install the lprng package, but that is dependant on lpd isn't
it?

When I go from single to multi-user I get an error message that
/usr/sbin/lpd can't be found (or something to that effect). Looking in
/usr/sbin/ there is only lptcontrol and lptest there.

Can someone point me in the direction to go from here?

thanks
dale

dmesg:
lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port
ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0
ad0: 28629MB <QUANTUM FIREBALLP AS30.0> [58168/16/63] at ata0-master
UDMA100