Date:      Thu, 22 Jan 2004 18:24:24 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Gafgo <nicolas.gafgo@bredband.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Newbie Graphic card question

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 17:05:52 +0100
Gafgo <nicolas.gafgo@bredband.net> wrote:

> Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
>=20
> >On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 11:23:31 +0100
> >Gafgo <nicolas.gafgo@bredband.net> wrote:
> >
> > =20
> >
> >>Hello. I am trying to install v 5.2 on my new computer. I have done=20
> >>succesful installations on my old computer where everything worked=20
> >>perfect. My problem now is that I can=B4t find my graphic card when I a=
m=20
> >>conf Xfree86. I have a Asus (ATI) Radeon 9200 SE. When I try to start X=
=20
> >>it doesn=B4t work, even if I try vga generic and other settings. Is it =
so=20
> >>bad that I have to buy a new card or is there other sollutions?? I have=
=20
> >>looked at Xfree86.org driver section and my card isn=B4t mentioned even=
 in=20
> >>their latest release.
> >>Hope that someone has an answer that will be cheaper than buying a new =
card.
> >>Many thanks Nicolas
> >>   =20
> >>

> >http://www.xfree86.org/current/Status6.html#6

	^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

> >Bellow it's my X config; I'm using a Radeon 9000. The thing you are
> >after is: Driver "ati" in the Device section; or radeon might work.
                                                           ^^^^^^^^^
Try it. You'll know after :).=20

> Thank u. I hope that=B4s it but I am not sure because of the Xfree86 man=
=20
> Drivers:
>=20
>     Supported Hardware <cid:part1.05020704.04030400@bredband.net>
>=20
> The *radeon* driver supports PCI and AGP video cards based on the=20
> following ATI chips

[..]

>     Unfortunately it doesn=B4t mention 9200........

Yup. When you try to run it with ati what does it print ?
Look for something like=20
(--) Chipset ATI Radeon 9000 If (AGP) found

>     Is there a list of cards that FreeBSD supports????
>     I can=B4t find it in the hardware support pages.

"XFree86, provides a client/server interface between display hardware
(the mouse, keyboard, and video displays) and the desktop environment
while also providing both the windowing infrastructure and a
standardized application interface (API)."

FreeBSD supports whatever XFree ( or other graphical server) supports; +
support for some things like dri that must be provided on the kernel
level (see /sys/i386/conf/NOTES for details).

--=20
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user