Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 23:48:06 -0800
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't get 132 columns in single-user mode

On 8 Mar 2001, at 20:42, I wrote:

> When I boot single-user mode (4.2 RELEASE) I can't get vidcontrol to
> set the 132x43 mode, which works fine otherwise.  I get:
>
> 	vidcontrol: cannot set videomode: Invalid argument
>
> All the usual vidcontrol commands work but "vidcontrol 132x43".
>
> I tried manually loading the font files two different ways, figuring
> something like rc.conf wasn't being parsed, but it didn't help:
>
> 	vidcontrol -f 8x16 swiss-8x16
> 	vidcontrol -f 8x16 /usr/share/syscons/fonts/swiss-8x16.fnt

OK.. I'm a dumb bunny.  I was loading the 8x16 font manually
but 132x43 requires the *8x8* font.  When I loaded that instead
of the 8x16 font shown above, it works.

Sorry for the redundancy. :-)

--
Philip J. Koenig                                       pjklist@ekahuna.com
Electric Kahuna Systems -- Computers & Communications for the New Millenium