Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:38:17 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problems building libiconv

Well, I've got my machine up and running 4.7 - thanks to everyone
for their help, esp. Mike Hogsett, who's instructions on upgrading
are about as clear as you could hope for. Thanks for taking the time!

Now, I'm in the process, like John Bleichert, of doing a portupgrade
on things, and I've run into a problem. I can't seem to get libiconv
(whatever that is!) to upgrade. Here's the tail end of the make.
I can see why it is complaining, because there certainly isn't a
'./autoconf' in my /usr/ports directory. Just for giggles, I installed
autoconf, but that didn't help. There is a ./autoconf/mkinstalldirs in
the Work directory for libiconv-1.8, though. But I'm just doing a
portupgrade...

Ooops, wait a minute, let me check something out ......

Yup, that's the problem. I was doing a:

portupgrade -m -j10 libiconv

Where the "-m -j10" passes the -j10 to the make, which set the number of
jobs make will try to do at one time. I read somewhere that if you have
a multi-CPU machine like I do, to try it with -j10. It has worked up til
now, but it seems to break the make for libiconv. Should I post this as
a bug somewhere? It works fine without it.

=3D=3D=3D=3D Cut here =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

test -f /usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib/charset.alias=
 &&=
 orig=3D/usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib/charset.alias=
  || orig=3Dcharset.alias;  sed -f ref-add.sed $orig >=
 /usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib/t-charset.alias;=
  install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444=
 /usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib/t-charset.alias=
 /usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib/charset.alias;  rm -f=
 /usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib/t-charset.alias
/bin/sh ./autoconf/mkinstalldirs=
 /usr/ports/converters/libiconv/work/libiconv-1.8/lib
./autoconf/mkinstalldirs: Can't open ./autoconf/mkinstalldirs: No such=
 file or directory
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
*** Error code 2
1 error
** Command failed [exit code 2]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade3695.0=
 make -j10
** Fix the problem and try again.
** The following packages were not installed or upgraded (*:skipped /=
 !:failed)
	! converters/libiconv (libiconv-1.7_2)	(unknown build error)

--
Jonathan Arnold             (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
The Incredible Brightness of Seeing, a Home Theater weblog