Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:47:35 +0000
From:      Scott Mitchell <scott.mitchell@mail.com>
To:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        FBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: removeing sound card from kernel binary

On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 11:24:30AM -0500, Joe & Fhe Barbish wrote:
> I am building a stand-a-lone firewall box.
> I have no need for sound card support.
>
> Is there a way to remove from the kernel to
> make the kernel binary smaller?

Build a custom kernel without any audio drivers in it?  The GENERIC kernel
config doesn't include any audio stuff anyway, so the customisation should
be trivial :-)

That said, there's probably a lot of other cruft you can strip out of
GENERIC for this box, and you might want to have the firewall code compiled
in rather than loaded from modules, so building a custom kernel is a good
idea anyways.

	Scott