Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:27:54 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>, gjohnson@nola.srrc.usda.gov, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Floating point exceptions

}> |> FreeBSD (so I can replace Linux). My understanding is that FreeBSD traps
}> |> FPE's. Is there a way for me to change the FreeBSD source code to mask FPE's
}> |> rather than trap them? Better yet, can I do that for a specific application at
}> |> compile time? Your assistance is greatly appreciated.
}> |
}> |Fix:		Correct the code to not generate exceptions
}>
}> Hmm, I don't think so.  There are a variety of reasons that NA people
}> want to use those carefully thought out exceptions.  Find
}> 'em yerself.
}
}In the original case the NA people weren't using the exceptions; they
}were ignoring them.
}
}IMHO FreeBSD does the correct thing; it notifies you of the exception.
}It is your responsibility to decide what to do about it.

I agree, as long as it is understood that some codes are correctly
written to generate exceptions that are best masked.  fpsetmask()
appears to fit the bill.

}
}I have spent not a little time carefully explaining to various
}scientific programmers about arithmetic exceptions and why they should
}care about them, and so far have had a 100% conversion rate.  If you
}look a physicist in the eye and say "unquantifiable error", they will
}usually listen.

What do physicists know about NA?  :-) :-) :-)

Russell