Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 98 10:11:08 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
To:        "Igor B. Bykhalo" <goshik@binep.ac.ru>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re:

-- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Are you using the modems or not? If you are not, then the second
configuration will provide the right connection. The first setup is too
simple, and I'm not sure if your serial port and the ISP serial port can
ignore all thos signals missing in config 1. If you are using the modems you
will not need a null-modem.

> Date: Monday, 21-Dec-98 06:44 PM
>
> From: Igor B. Bykhalo          \ Internet:    (goshik@binep.ac.ru)
> To:   freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG \ Internet:
> (freebsd-questions@freebsd.org)

> Good time of day everybody,
>
> I have a question on null-modem connection. We are using SLIP over the
leased
> line to connect to our ISP. Modems we are using have neither hardware flow
> control nor internal buffers, and modems manufacturer confirmed me that
our
> line can be considered just as the null-modem cable looking like:
>
>   We      ISP
>  RxD ---- TxD
>  TxD ---- RxD
>  DTR ---- DCD
>  DCD ---- DTR
>  SG  ---- SG
>
> I found this layout different from the one mentioned in
> Handbook(handbook187.html):
>
>    TxD   2  -----------------------  3    RxD
>    RxD   3  -----------------------  2    TxD
>    DTR  20  -----------------------  6    DSR
>    DSR   6  -----------------------  20   DTR
>    SG    7  -----------------------  7    SG
>    DCD   8  ----------------------+  4    RTS*
>   *RTS   4  +                     +  5    CTS*
>
> (How) must this be accounted for to ensure the proper line functioning?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Igor

Pablo Quintana
NetSys Dedicated Internet Services
San Pedro Sula, Honduras, Central America

e-mail: quintana@netsys.hn
Voice: +(504) 566-1055
Fax:   +(504) 566-3183