Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 11:51:02 +0100 (CET)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?m=20p?= <sumirati@yahoo.de>
To:        anthony@atkielski.com, achornback@worldnet.att.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-processor Support

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Andrew writes:
>
> > A simple kernel recompile with two additional
> > options is suddenly "risky" ?
>
> Anything that changes the kernel is risky--just as risky as reinstallation.

Ok, Anthony.

What is your experience with FreeBSD? Beginner? Ok.

Have you recompiled your kernel yet? No? ok.

Do you know _why_ most of the FreeBSD people use customized kernels? No? Ok.

Why do you speak up about a topic in an OS you don't know much about?

Most of us use kernels with only that included what is needed - nothing more.
You have to add hardware? Don't want to shutdown your computer with
CTRL+ALT+DEL? Want a new network protocol? Ok, edit your kernel, recompile,
install the new kernel, shutdown the computer, put the new hardware in, start
the machine again and here we go. If the new kernel doesn't want to boot, we
type _before_ the OS is loaded (at that point "System will startet in 10
seconds. Press any key to abort...") <anykey> unload all <enter> boot
kernel.old <enter> ... and we have the old and _running_ kernel back again.

_Where_ is the problem?

If you don't believe that take a look at
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT and GENERIC

LINT is the file with _all_ options included and GENERIC is the kernel
configuration file from which your kernel was build.

Machines in production enviroments are normally build once, you are right.
_But_ sometimes you _have_ to add new hardware and consequently build a new
kernel to use the new hardware.
This is considered a normal and not risky task with FreeBSD.

So tell us something new about _FreeBSD_ or be quiet about this topic.

Thanks

Marc