Date:      Sat, 03 Jun 2000 19:09:11 -0400
From:      Otter <otterr@telocity.com>
To:        leegold <goldtech@worldpost.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reinstall a patched x-windows - help

Because of compiling optimizations I've placed in my /etc/make.conf, I
prefer to build all my ports, rather than use packages. To do an
upgrade from ports, just make deinstall the port, then make clean,
followed by a make reinstall. I'd recommend first doing a cvsup on
your ports collection to make sure you have the latest Makefile (with
patches, etc). This should not overwrite your existing
/etc/XF86Config, if that is your concern. There's always the concept
of making a backup too!
-Otter