Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 14:15:04 -0600
From:      jshenry <jshenry@mail.uark.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SCSI question

Ok, this question might not be fully related, but someone here might have a
solution. I am building a SCSI disk array with a bunch of Seagate ST32550WD
SCSI drives. They are all physically identical, but 3 of them had newer
firmware and reported 2047Mb. Four of them had older firmware and reported
2033Mb. Now, I thought I could reflash the firmware on the older disks to get
their capacity to match the new ones, so I went and download the latest flash
for the ST32550W disks (mine are differential, hence the D at the end). Well,
it sort of worked. Now, 6 of the 7 disks report 2047M, but there is one
holdout sticking at 2033Mb.

Seagate's technical support said that the problem is in the modepages, but
they didn't specify which one - or how to change it. Has anyone else had a
problem with this drive reporting the wrong capacity (and managed to correct
it)? Also, a quick trip through the modepages with camcontrol reveals
something strange. I can't seem to see all of the modepage data with
camcontrol. Using SCSITOOL, a DOS based SCSI probe/format/diagnostic utility,
I find that the biggest difference is in page 61h - so I suspect the problem
may be there. However, I can't seem to access that with camcontrol. It could
be an understanding problem on my end though...

Is there a faq, tutorial (something beyond the manpage) explaining how to use
camcontrol? Alternately, does anyone still have an old DOS SCSI modepage
editors?

Thanks,
Seth Henry
jshenry@net-noise.com