Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 14:30:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gpalmer@freebsd.org (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        nc@ai.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VNODE Pager Errors

> Network Coordinator wrote in message ID
> <199603111815.NAA25619@aries.ai.net>:
> > /kernel: vnode_pager_input: I/O read error
> > /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware error, PID 287 failure.
>
> Having seen this on my own machine, it normally means that the system
> gets a read failure from the swap device, meaning that it can't page
> the binary back into memory...

Specifically, a fault on a copyin of a user page that isn't present
(unlikely) or a fault on a copyout to a user page that isn't present
(very likely, especially on a loaded system) when using a swapfile
on a file of the file system from which the uiomove() in vfs_subr.c
is being called.

John has recently done a lot of work in this area; even though I
disagree with some of the VM architectural choices because of their
ramifications for file system (specifically VFS-to-VOP layer)
complexity, John does damn good work.  I think that -current as
of a couple of days ago fixed this problem 100%.

Now if only I could convince him to change cache indexing so that
I can murder the vclean() and make the VOP_LOCK() code advisory
and thus shared between all file systems...  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.