Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:47:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "no ld.so" when ftp'ing

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> I've been getting some unexpected errors (the best kind) when
> ftp'ing to my FreeBSD 2.1.5R machine running vanilla ftpd.
>
> 1) When I'm logged in as a real user (e.g. ben) locally or remotely, I
> can do ls or dir with no problems.
>
> 2) When I'm logged in as anonymous or ftp *from a remote site*, I can do
> ls but dir gets me "no ld.so".

You need to copy ls from /bin to ~ftp/bin, since anonymous logins are
chroot()ed to ~ftp/, which means that ~ftp becomes the root directory (/)
for that process . See the ftpd(8) man page for instructions on setting up
anonymous logins.

> The only other data point I can think of that might be relevant is that I
> replaced /bin/ls with a statically-compiled version of the colorls port,
> renaming the old ls to ls.old.

Are you sure it compiled statically?  It's acting like it didn't.

> I've tried symlinking and alternately copying /usr/libexec/ld.so to
> /var/ftp, with no effect.

You'd have to create ~ftp/usr/libexec/ and copy ld.so there.  But you need
to check and make extra sure that colorls was properly compiled.

Note that many ftp clients won't grok color ANSI codes properly, so this
is a bit of a waste, IMHO.