Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:48:29 +0000 (EDT)
From:      Michael Imamura <gte255n@prism.gatech.edu>
To:        Joe Koenig <joe@jwebmedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shmmax?

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Joe Koenig wrote:
> I was reading over an article about optimizing PostgreSQL. The article
> is specific to RedHat Linux 7.1, and refers to the amount of shmmax (max
> shared memory). Is there a similiar setting for FreeBSD? Thanks,

This can be adjusted in the kernel config; here are the appropriate lines
out of LINT:

options     SYSVSHM     # include support for shared memory
options     SHMMAXPGS=1025  # max amount of shared memory pages (4k on i386)
options     SHMALL=1025 # max amount of shared memory (bytes)
options     SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
                # max shared memory segment size (bytes)
options     SHMMIN=2    # min shared memory segment size (bytes)
options     SHMMNI=33   # max number of shared memory identifiers
options     SHMSEG=9    # max shared memory segments per process

Adjusting SHMMAXPGS and SHMALL seem to be the way to go; I've avoided
touching the other settings.

         - Michael Imamura  zoogie@lugatgt.org
           LUG@GT Web Guy   http://www.lugatgt.org/