Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:33:21 -0400
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        "'Dan Nelson'" <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'toby@milkyway.org'" <toby@antares.milkyway.org>
Subject:   RE: tape drive not working

There is a /modules/cd9660.ko file.  I tried the make anyway
and received this message.

make: don't know how to make obj. Stop

A tape is in the drive.  It moves the tape back and forth when
a tape is inserted and during boot up.

In the last episode (Apr 15), Toby Swanson said:
> Running FBSD 3.3 on a Pentium 133, 32 Mb RAM, 2 IDE drives (primary
> and secondary masters), CD-ROM reader (secondary slave), Adaptec
> 1542C (id 7), HP T4000 tape drive (id 5), Seagate ST31200N 1 GB drive
> (id 6).
>
> I moved my hard drives and tape drives from a 486 motherboard (MB) to
> a Pentium MB.  Everything else stayed the same except I moved the
> CD-ROM reader from primary slave to secondary slave.  All equipment
> is found during boot up.  Everything works as before with the 2
> exceptions below.  When trying to mount a CD I get an error of;
>
> cd9660: vfsload(cd9660); No such file or directory

Check to see if you have a /modules/cd9660.so file.  If not, cd into
/sys/modules/cd9660 and do "make obj && make depend && make && make
install"

> When I try to use the tape drive or check its status I get;
>
> mt: /dev/nrsa0: Device not configured

That's probably because there isn't a tape in the drive.  The error
string is misleading.  According to the errno manpage, it should really
read: