Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:53:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   LVM on Linux, FreeBSD pendant?

Dear Sirs.

When Reading the news about Linux at these days I saw much postings about
the Logical Volume Manager (LVM) which has been introdcued. I do not know
much about Linux, because years ago we decided to use FreeBSD due its better
performance in networks and especially for stability issues. One of our servers
is running a RAID 0 with vinum, and as I understood vinum prior it acts as a
logical volume manager. Well, Linux LVM seems to be introduced with whistles and
bells, it sounds to me like the introduction of the wastebin in Windows (apart
from the fact, that Apple's wastebin was more than 10 years on market at that time).

Can anybody tell me what's new in Linux LVM, what's different to vinum and: is vinum
comparable to Linux's LVM?

Thanks in advance.

Oliver

-