Date:      Sun, 4 Jun 2000 01:59:33 +0100
From:      "Morten Seeberg" <morten@seeberg.dk>
To:        "John Indra" <john_indra@yahoo.com>, "Christopher T. Griffiths" <cgriffiths@quansoo.com>, "Steven Aiello" <SAiello@outpost.com>, "Tony Lynn" <wing@mis.mgt.ncu.edu.tw>, "Reid" <rsimon@networld.com>, <cristian.nicolae@chello.at>, "Oliver Schonefeld" <oschonef@TechFak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IDA Raid controller and FreeBSD 4.x

Hi, sorry for not answering earlier, but I only had the time myself to test
the IDA support in 4.x yesterday, which is why I didnīt have any experience
to share with you.

I also tried booting the 4.0-RELEASE CD, and was able to install on the IDA
driver, but it didnīt work after the reboot, just like many of you mailed
me.

Since I had heard a lot about changes in 4.0-STABLE regarding the IDA
driver, i decided not to spend any more time on 4.0R and installed a
4.0-STABLE on my machine. In this version the IDA devices got their own
device name, instead of using the IDE support. This should mean that you
should be able to have IDE devices along with booting off the IDA devices. I
didnīt have any IDE devices when I did this, so if any of you test this, I
would very much like to hear about it, so I can put it on my website.

To install 4.0-STABLE just go to
ftp://releng4.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386 and download the
floppies for a snapshot, and then boot them. Then select the releng4 FTP
site when doing a network install. I used 4.0-20000602-STABLE, worked fine
for me.

I have updated the website to reflect all these new things:
http://seeberg.dk/freebsd/idaraid

Please fill out the form if your IDA site/machine/workstation isnīt on the
list, so we can convince Compaq to support the FreeBSD project (I had a disk
crash on my laptop a few months ago, so I might have lost your addition to
the list).

I also played around with the ARRAY expanding feature, read more about this
on the site.

/\/\orten $eeberg, Systems Consultant @
Merkantildata - Enterprise Solutions
#echo 'System Administrators suck :)' > /dev/console