Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2004 00:21:51 +0200
From:      Geert Hendrickx <geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be>
To:        Patrick Useldinger <pu@vo.lu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any use to build from source?

Optimization and speed are indeed an arguable advantage of compiling
from source, but another GREAT advantage is the possibility of setting
compile-time options and dependencies.  I.e. lots of packages have
options which can be enabled/disabled only at compile time.  For
example whether you want Vim with the GUI-version or not (in that case
it would have a lot more dependencies, such as X and GTK).

Of course the package maintainers try to choose useful defaults, but
they may not suite *your* specific needs.

Also the version of binary packages may be a little behind on the ports.
So if you want Firefox 0.9 TODAY, you'd have to compile it yourself.

I compile most of my programs from source, just for fun.

GH