Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 15:52:38 -0400
From:      Eduardo Cerejo <ecerejo@idt.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   KDE sound, KSCD works but...

I've recompiled my kernel several times trying to fix my sound problem,
and now I have sound when I play the cd player but I have no sound in
kde.  Media Player doesn't play any sounds, Kmidi gives me this error on
my Xterm:

"/kernel: pcm0: unit not comfigured perhaps you want pcm1?"

I tried to configure my kernel to pcm1 and then I get "...perhaps you
want pcm2" and so on!  But the thing is I know my sound is working
because the CDs play just fine so I suspect that it has to do KDE.
Kmidi itself tells me:

"Can't Open Output Device"

Right now I have this in my kernel:

# Audio drivers: `snd', `sb', `pas', `gus', `pca'
controller pnp0
device pcm0 at isa? port? tty irq 9 drq 1 flags 0x10"

I try to open up kmix from ROOT and I get this error:

Kmix:  Could not open mixer.
Perhaps you have no permission to access the mixer device.
Login as root and do a 'chmod a+rw /dev/mixer*' to allow the access.

I have run this command also ./MAKEDEV snd0 and still gives me the same
errors.

All the sounds are turned on in system sounds panel also.

Any ideas everyone?
Thanks