Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 09:22:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marcia Barrett Nice <mimerki@yahoo.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>, Mike Kanaly <mike@worklife.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions-digest@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Book Suggestions for a newbie

--- Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> wrote:
> [ At last -- a post that's on topic ]
>
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 11:46:06PM -0800, Mike
> Kanaly wrote:
> > I'm wondering which books would be best in
> explaining what I need from
> > freebsd.  I'm a newbie, and I'm planning on using
> freebsd to serve some
> > webpages, provide ftp/ssh access, meanwhile be
> accessible on my Windows
> > network/workgroup.
> >
> > I've looked over some options as far as setup goes
> and all that, and I
> > think I'm going to go with the following:
> >
> > The FreeBSD Corporate Networker's Guide
>
> Is probably too advanced for your needs.  It might
> be useful if you're
> planning on using FreeBSD on a larger network with
> many Windows machines
> (at which point it's invaluable).
>  <snippage>

Do you think so?  I recently got a copy (or more
precisely got the time to read my copy), and I've
found it quite useful.  Admittedly, I've been playing
with FreeBSD for about a year and a half now, but I
wouldn't consider myself an advanced user.  The nice
thing about the CNG is that Mittelstadt (sp?) explains
a lot of the whys and wherefores of the system.  This
has been somewhat more helpful to me than some other
books.

I'm also pretty fond of The Complete FreeBSD (Lehey).
I've heard good things about Annelise Anderson's book,
but haven't picked it up.

HTH
Marci

=====
Marriage, n. THe state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress and two slaves, making in all, two.
-Ambrose Bierce, THE DEVIL'S DICTIONARY