Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 23:55:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, Maury Markowitz <maury@OAAI.COM>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Presenting FreeBSD to a Linux Users Group?

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999, Wes Peters wrote:

> Except in FreeBSD, you don't have to "go out on the net and get the pkg"
> because pkg_add does that for you.  Yup, you can pkg_add a URL and any
> packages it depends on will be automagically fetched and installed if
> they don't already exist on the system.

Yes, but part of dselect's ability to go out on the net and fetch things
for you includes better dependency managment than what the free BSDs
system offers.

Have you ever tried to upgrade Qt while anything KDE is installed (the
Gnome packages too are just as bad)?

Or egcs.  Debian handled the whole egcs/gcc thing in a very nice manner.

> Is that cool, or what?

Sure, it's got that whole cool factor, but it tends to be useful (for me)
only in isolated cases (a package here and there).

- alex