Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 16:41:10 -0400
From:      "James E. Quick" <jq@quick.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Looking for ways to protect myself from spammers on usenet.

Spammers have finally gotten too bad on usenet for me to keep
posting news with a real email address.  I use an ancient newsreader
(a heavily modified version of strn) which posts via Pnews->inews.

I want to keep using my favorite news software but I no longer wish
to provide my email address to all those spamming assholes.

I have done some net searches to to see how people are solving this
problem, but have not come up with anything.  My first quess is that
the cleanest solution would involve patching inews by replacing the
uname, gecos and hostname with suitably altered versions.

Another approcah would be to use a perl script on the outbound leg
(nntpsend) to filter addresses before being sent out.

Someone must have done this before, can anyone provide me with some
references to pre-existing wheels?

---
  ___ ___ | James E. Quick                  jq@quick.com
   / /  / | Quick & Associates              NeXTMail O.K.
\_/ (_\/  | If only the HMO would cover my allergy to gravity.
       )  |