Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 17:04:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Toby Swanson <toby@milkyway.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: tape drive not working

On Sat, 15 Apr 2000, Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Apr 15), Toby Swanson said:
> > There is a /modules/cd9660.ko file.  I tried the make anyway and
> > received this message.
> >
> > make: don't know how to make obj. Stop

I missed the /sys part of the path.  It maked in the correct directory
but the error remained.

> Well that's weird.  Try manually loading the kld with "kldload cd9660"
> and see if you get any errors.

No errors and now the CD mounts!  How do I make this permanent?

> > A tape is in the drive.  It moves the tape back and forth when
> > a tape is inserted and during boot up.
>
> Weird again.  The drive activity might just be because the SCSI bus was
> reset.  It might not mean the device was found by the kernel.  In your
> dmesg output, do you get anything like:
>
> sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 3 lun 0
> sa0: <ARCHIVE Python 25947-XXX 2.49> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
> sa0: 5.000MB/s transfers (5.000MHz, offset 15)

dmesg confirms the device is found.  The device shows up during startup,
both before FreeBSD starts and during boot up.  All indications show
correct bus, id, and lun.