Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 09:13:21 -0700
From:      "Heredity Choice" <stork@QNET.COM>
To:        "Philipp Huber" <uebs@gmx.at>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Ink Jet Printing in FBSD???

I also have a Lexmark 5700 printer and wrote to Lexmark asking how it can be
used with FreeBSD. They said it is "host dependant," meaning it is a
WINprinter that requires a driver which utilizes the computer's CPU and
cannot be used under FreeBSD. This is true of all Lexmark inkjet printers
but not the Lexmark Optra, which is a laser printer.

I think the only way to print to a Lexmark 5700 from FreeBSD is through a
Windows printserver.

There are some Hewlett Packard inkjet printers, including all the older
ones, which work with DOS, and will probably work with FreeBSD. A Macintosh
printer might do well. You can also get some leads by searching on the
Internet for "Linux printers."  As for the Lexmark 5700, it can be used for
a planter or a rather cumbersome paperweight.

Paul Smith