Date:      Tue, 22 Sep 1998 00:13:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        easmith@beatrice.rutgers.edu (Allen Smith)
Cc:        mheller@rhrk.uni-kl.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on the Intel-UNIX standard

I got a hold of these people.

The Linux version of UDI is being implemented by Intel, and not directly:

        http://www.intel.com/pressroom/archive/releases/Cn091698.htm

They also said that:

o       They would be "happy to see a FreeBSD port".

o       The easiest thing "may be to take the reference implementation
        and port it to FreeBSD".  I believe they were talking about
        the SCO UnixWare 7 source, *not* the Intel/Linux source.

o       The current code is not usable for anything more than proof
        of concept.

o       The 0.85 code will allow for a straight-forward sync-up
        with the 1.0 specification.

o       The October date for 0.85 may slip into November at this point.

o       There is basic agreement that, "in markets where it makes
        sense", there will be an addemdum that specifies how the
        source standard gets bound to a particular binary convention,
        most likely IA32 (the Intel UNIX ABI) calling conventions and
	data management, and ELF format objects.  This has not yet
	been formally proposed for any kind of standardization, as
	yet, however.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---