Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:38:45 +0000
From:      mark@linus.demon.co.uk (Mark Valentine)
To:        Takanori Saneto <sanewo@ba2.so-net.or.jp>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange PS2 Mouse Behavior

> From: Takanori Saneto <sanewo@ba2.so-net.or.jp>
> Date: Mon 11 Nov, 1996
> Subject: Re: Strange PS2 Mouse Behavior

> In article <199611052202.PAA26779@rocky.mt.sri.com>,
> 	Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:
> >Ron Bolin writes:
> >> After updating from around a 10-26-96 current to todays 11-5-96
> >> I am having problems with my PS2 mouse. A times it reacts strange
> >> when I move my cursor to another window too fast. It will charge to
> >> the far right of the screen when I am moving it to the left. It was
> >> working
>
> I experienced strang PS2 mouse behavior, too. My kernel built on Nov 2
> was OK but the one built on Nov 9 was showed this problem.
>
> In addition to spourious motion of mouse pointer, I experienced
> something wrong about buttons and keys. (window manager menus pop up,
> random characters appear on my xterm, etc.)

Me too, though this is the first time I've been up to date with -current in
a few months.

I usually just get my olvwm menu popping up in the top right corner, but
sometimes I get a random cut and paste into an xterm on the way.  :-(

> >This problem showed up in the last 2 weeks, but I had other
> >modifications on my system that I blamed it on.  I've since removed all
> >of them and the problem persists.

I also made another change when I brought myself up to date: adding the
pt0 device; I took that out and the problem is less frequent, but still
there - probably a coincidence?  I may just have had more system activity
yesterday (ppp0 internal modem connection running at 33k6 solid for 12
hours and a make World for XFree86).

I upgraded from XFree86 3.1.2G (binary release) to 3.2 (from source)
subsequently - no change.

Sometimes my system gets into a state where the ALT key seems to be locked
on.  Usually it's better if I switch to a text vt and back, but I've also
seen the text vt get confused.

dmesg output available if it might be useful.  ASUS T2P4, Pentium/133, 64MB,
AHA2940UW (narrow Hawk attached), NCR810 (scanner, 2xCD, QIC, all mainly idle),
EIDE drive (DOS, idle), SMC 9332 (mostly idle), sound card (active, but just
pass-through from my walkman...); external serial ports disabled in BIOS.

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine at Home <mailto:mv@pobox.com> <http://www.pobox.com/~mv/>;