Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2007 12:30:49 -0500
From:      Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: problems with Hitachi 1TB SATA drives

--nextPart1850222.mM4mAsBVcG

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 07:40:21PM -0700, Bill Swingle wrote:
> > >  Doh, I knew I forgot something in my original email.
> > >  Here's the full dmesg: http://dub.net/rum.dub.net.dmesg
> >
> > Actually you did include this in your original Email.  I think
> > Daniel overlooked it.  :-)
>
> Oops, maybe it was an attachment I forgot to read.
>
> As you say later - it would be good to know what mode the chipset
> is in.
>
> Might be worth trying AHCI mode if you have it (although maybe ICH5
> is too old for that?)

I don't have any experience with the Hitachi 1TB SATA drives, but I=20
know an outfit that was trying out the Seagate 1TB drives and had 8=20
out of 12 fail their burn-in (a 3 day torture test)  My luck with=20
consumer SATA drives has been incredibly dismal, with ~40 of them in=20
service I see multiple failures a year, including drives being DOA=20
and dying after a few weeks of service.  I wouldn't be at all=20
surprised if one or both of the drives was bad right out of the box. =20
It could be something else of course, but don't discount the fact=20
that they could be bad from your troubleshooting just because they=20
are new.

=2D-=20
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel