Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2000 17:23:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Chris Goz <cgoz@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: make buildworld ok, but installworld crashed

On 14-Apr-00 Chris Goz wrote:
> I tried upgrading 3.1-Stable to 4.0-Stable from source. The buildworld
> completed successfully but when I tried iinstallworld, it crashed with
> signal
> 12 and error code 1.

*sigh*

You should have read /usr/src/UPDATING and followed the instructions there
and you could have avoided this problem.  Had you been reading -stable
you would have seen this problem hashed out about 15 times on that list.
Anyways, your best bet is probably to just back up your data and install
4.0 from scratch.  Either that or copy /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, and /sbin
from a 3.4-stable box over to your box and then follow the instructions
in src/UPDATING to upgrade your machine.

> I replaced /bin on this drive (2) with /bin from another drive (1) with
> 3.4-RELEASE, and the system runs ok , but I cannot make buildworld with
> 3.4-STABLE sources because it dies with
>
> Bad system call - core dumped
> *** Error code 140
>
> Also, top dies with "nlist failed".
>
> What other directories or files do I have to replace for it to work?
>
> Or how do I repair or upgrade my 3.1-STABLE system on drive 2 with eg.
> 3.4-RELEASE that is on drive 1?
> Or do I have to build the system from source on drive 1 and then do
> installworld onto drive 2? Detailed instructions
> on how to do this would be appreciated.

src/UPDATING is very detailed.