Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 2000 10:45:35 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Essenz Consulting <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel 840 Chipset Discontinue

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 12:31:58 -0400, Essenz Consulting wrote:
> I was told by several of my distributors that all motherboards based off
> of the Intel 840 chipset are being discontinued. That means the Supermicro
> PIIDM3 and PIIIDME, and any other 840 board.

Are you sure they don't just mean any 840 board that uses SDRAM?

It looks like Supermicro has a RAMBUS 840 board on their web page now:

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/840/PIIIDR3a.htm

> Supermicro has two new boards, 370DL3 and 370DLE. Identical in specs to
> the 840 boards, but using some kind of "ServerWork LE" chipset. However, I
> have also been hearing bad news about these boards as well.

Not quite identical.  They don't have AGP, which makes it difficult to
get graphics boards.  (If you want to use it for a workstation.  Most
graphics boards don't come in plain PCI anymore.)

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org