Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:27:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        vanderh@ecf.utoronto.ca (Tim Vanderhoek)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, bright@rush.net, smp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: async call gates

> On Thu, Jul 01, 1999 at 01:00:36AM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> >
> > 2)	We can implement on top of the asynchronous (non-blocking)
> [...]
> > 	Rather than giving up our quantum, however, we change to
> > 	another set of registers, another program counter, and
>
> Is this the famous "It's my damn quantum" debate?

Yes.

With appologies to the USMC:

			The Creed of the UNIX Process

	This is my quantum.  There are many like it, but this one
	is mine.  My quantum is my best friend.  It is my life.  I
	must master it as I master my life.  My quantum, without me
	is useless.  Without my quantum, I am useless.  I must
	utilize my quantum true.  I must preempt more frequently
	than the other processes on the system who are trying to
	starve me.  I must preeempt them before they preempt me.  I
	will...

	My quantum and my address space know that what counts in
	execution is not the number of system calls we make, the
	count of our instructions, nor the context switches we
	are involved in.  We know that it is the elapsed wall time
	to completion.  We will complete...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---