Date:      Sat, 16 May 1998 07:19:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      CyberPeasant <djv@bedford.net>
To:        bear@pacificnet.net (Joey Garcia)
Cc:        sue@welearn.com.au, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Newbies run riot at FreeBSD

Joey Garcia wrote:

> There was this book I found in the library that was about C programming but
> explicitly for Unix systems.  It was really neat, but I forgot the name of
> it.  I'll have to check it out and post it later.

Well, one book that meets those criteria is W. R. Stevens "Advanced
Programming in the Unix Environment."  It is a must-read for C
programmers who are experienced under other OS's and want to come
up to speed in both the Unix style, and Unix system calls. This
one is a ***** book.  Examples are given in both BSD and SysV. Big,
thick, and thorough. The mysteries of fork() explained. How to
write a real daemon. etc. etc. A good advertising blurb would be:
"How to write real Unix programs."

The same author's recent (2nd?) edition of "Unix Network Programming"
is another fine book.  Again, good for the experienced programmer,
but networking newbie. ****

Kernighan and Pike's "The Unix Programming Environment" is good
for those with less programming experience, and who want to get their
feet wet without messing around in other, inferior, OS's with
"helpful" "visual" tools.  It is introductory in nature, dealing
with make, shell commands, some utils like awk, maybe sed, and yacc. ****

But Stevens' A.P.U.E. is a real gem.

Anybody know a good X app programming text?

> >This page will be updated frequently and feedback is always welcome.
> >Obvious omissions are installation, ppp (update is on its way) and X
> >(still hunting for very easy material - does it exist??). Please send
> >comments to the newbies mailing list, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org.
> >
> >Thanks to all the newbies who have already evaluated the content, and
> >the non-newbies who have helped us figure out how to share it.

Dave
--
                <----.   mail-to: djv@bedford.net