Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 16:03:54 -0800
From:      John Merryweather Cooper <john_m_cooper@yahoo.com>
To:        sobomax@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org, ports@FreeBSD.org, ade@FreeBSD.org, proclus@iname.com
Subject:   Re: GNOME on BSD: the past and the future

On 2001.12.30 15:18 Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> [CC'ed to ports@FreeBSD.org for better reach]
>
> Dear friends,
>
> As usual, the very end of the year is a good time to summarize things
> that happened during the past year as well as set targets for the next
> year.
>
> The past year was undoubtedly the very successful time for the GNOME
> development in general of for FreeBSD porting effort. Several "killer
> apps" and core components either reached their 1.0 release, or are
> close
> to that point, and what's more important for us is that most of those
> apps are now working on FreeBSD quite stably. Of course this would be
> absolutely impossible without the great help from the FreeBSD GNOME
> community and I would like to use this opportunity to say "thank you"
> all people who contributed patches, bug reports, suggestions and moral
> support. It was really enjoyable to work with you and I look forward
> continuing our fruitful co-operation in the year 2002.
>
> Speaking about the future, there are several ideas that I would like
> share with you and get your feedback on.
>
> First of all, it is quite clear that we need to move away from the
> existing "one person" development model, because the size of the GNOME
> ports sub-collection is growing fast, and things are likely to become
> even worse when the GNOME2 platform will start shaping out in the
> second
> half of the 2002. My vision is that we need a team of at least 2-3
> dedicated developers with the write access to FreeBSD ports repository
> by the mid-2002 and 5-6 at the end of the year. I have a few potential
> candidates on the list and planning to start discussing with each of
> them shortly.
>
> Another thing that I think would be necessary is the dedicated GNOME
> packages building machine to test and debug the changes on, because
> current bento turn-around times are sub-optimal. If anybody is
> interested and has a machine with good connectivity and some spare CPU
> cycles - please let me know.

I build all these applications (the GNOME components and most of the
ports) on a regular basis (every time they change) anyway.  I have a
700 mHz Athlon and 512kbps upstream (if someone wants to play on my
system, the problem is that I have dynamic IP through my provider).  I
would be happy to run a cron-driven job, produces logs, and e-mail them
out through some automated means.

> There are also a number of tasks that are less critical and more
> long-term, but they are also have to be eventually addressed:
>
> 1. Integration of the FreeBSD-specific changes into the main GNOME
> repository. As the time goes, this becomes more and more important,
> because with each new release the number of local changes and hacks
> increases eating up a valuable time due to necessary to merge old
> changes into the new code. It would be much easier if we have had a
> person with the direct write access into the GNOME cvs repo (another
> long-term goal), but there isn't such person yet, so we need to cope
> with the problem somehow. It would be great is somebody could pick up
> this task, or at least part of it (say only patches for core
> components
> upon which gnomecore depends - see attached list), identify patches
> that
> could be integrated and submit them into the GNOME bug tracking
> system.
>
> 2. Creation of the website for the "GNOME on the FreeBSD" FreeBSD
> subproject. For example we have such website for Java subproject
> (http://www.FreeBSD.org/java/). I have some ideas about possible
> content
> of those pages, so don't hesitate to contact me if you are interested
> in
> doing that. On a related note, we need some form of FAQ with answers
> a common FreeBSD-specific questions, because I see people keep asking
> the same ones again and again just wasting their and ours time. I have
> archives of gnome@FreeBSD.org alias since its beginning as well as my
> answers to GNOME-related question sent to ports@FreeBSD.org before the
> alias was created, so what is really necessary here is to do
> compilation. Again, if somebody feels adventurous enough to pick this
> up
> - please let me know.

I would be happy to throw together/maintain a website for
FreeBSD-GNOME.  Yet another excuse to play with SCREEM.  :)  An
integral part of this would be the FAQ.

--
          _
   | |V| / '                       ||  MacroHard --                   \
\_| | | \_,                       ||     the perfection of form over |