Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 08:41:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        "'Luigi Rizzo'" <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Ladavac Marino wrote:

# 	[ML]  This would offer an advantage over the existing system
# only if all ports are updated to the new schema, which is a lot of work.
# shar approach could be easily mechanised, and requires no changes in the
# makefiles or the ports themselves.  OTOH, shar offers no advantages to
# the folks who build all ports (or most of them) because they end up
# creating all directories anyway.  I think Satoshi is the only such
# person :)

You can add me to that list.  I'm pretty sure Simokawa-san keeps
the whole tree around, Justin Seger is another, everyone that I've
ever setup a FreeBSD box for, and the list goes on.

The point being that quite a number of people will find it useful
to have all the ports on their box for any number of reasons besides
the fact that they build packages.  IMHO any proposed solution
that increases the pain of doing so will probably meet with some
resistance.  But don't let that discourage you.  Code it up and I
have a couple of boxes I'll give it a whirl on. :-)

-steve