Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:03:10 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A post 4.4 lite problem...

OK.  Maybe this has already been reported, but I just hit my first
FreeBSD panic that actually saved to the disk (the ones before just
rebooted w/o any saves, yes, cores were enabled :-).

My kernel:

FreeBSD rover.village.org 3.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 3.0-CURRENT #0: Thu Mar
13 20:21:24 MST 1997
imp@rover.village.org:/jaz/FreeBSD/current/src/sys/compile/ROVER  i386

(and the rest of the system is a fresh make world from the same time
frame)

Here's what gdb -k shows (doesn't look too useful, see the end of the
dump):
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...(no debugging symbols found)...
IdlePTD 203000
current pcb at 1e5d5c
panic: page fault
#0  0xf0111fb3 in ?? ()
(kgdb) where
#0  0xf0111fb3 in ?? ()
#1  0xf0112272 in ?? ()
#2  0xf01b9956 in ?? ()
#3  0xf01b9444 in ?? ()
#4  0xf01b911f in ?? ()
#5  0xf010d660 in ?? ()
#6  0xf01a1bfd in ?? ()
#7  0xf0131d78 in ?? ()
#8  0xf0132704 in ?? ()
#9  0xf0111e7d in ?? ()
#10 0xf0112272 in ?? ()
#11 0xf01b9956 in ?? ()
#12 0xf01b9444 in ?? ()
#13 0xf01b911f in ?? ()
#14 0xf010d660 in ?? ()
#15 0xf01a1bfd in ?? ()
#16 0xf0131d78 in ?? ()
#17 0xf0132704 in ?? ()
#18 0xf012d58b in ?? ()
#19 0xf0107ab6 in ?? ()
#20 0xf0107a54 in ?? ()

For reasons unknown to me (and I'd like to know why, if anybody
knows), none of the symbols were picked up, even though nm showed
them.  So, since I had a few minutes, I put together a traceback:

#0  0xf0111fb3 in boot ()
#1  0xf0112272 in panic ()
#2  0xf01b9956 in trap_fatal ()
#3  0xf01b9444 in trap_pfault ()
#4  0xf01b911f in trap ()
#5  0xf010d660 in lockstatus ()
#6  0xf01a1bfd in ufs_islocked () + 0x15
#7  0xf0131d78 in vfs_msync () + 0x38
#8  0xf0132704 in sync () + 0x4c
#9  0xf0111e7d in boot () + 0x75
#10 0xf0112272 in panic ()
#11 0xf01b9956 in trap_fatal ()
#12 0xf01b9444 in trap_pfault ()
#13 0xf01b911f in trap ()
#14 0xf010d660 in lockstats ()
#15 0xf01a1bfd in ufs_islocked () + 0x15
#16 0xf0131d78 in vfs_msync () + 0x38
#17 0xf0132704 in sync () + 0x4c
#18 0xf012d58b in vfs_update () + 0x3b
#19 0xf0107ab6 in kproc_start () + 0x32
#20 0xf0107a54 in main ()

So the reason that I sent this to -hackers rather than sendpr is that
I'm not happy with the scant amount of data here.  Can somebody give
me a pointer on how to get more info?  Right now I'm rebuilding the
latest -current kernel config -g to see if that gives me a better dump
or not.

Thank you for your time and efforts.

Warner