Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 23:15:29 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports/39337: p5-PodParser finding wrong p5-File-Spec module

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 11:52:05AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> Anton Berezin wrote:
> >
> > The following reply was made to PR ports/39337; it has been noted by GNATS.
> >
> > From: Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
> > To: "Christopher H. Laco" <chris.laco@threetech.com>
> > Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
> > Subject: Re: ports/39337: p5-PodParser finding wrong p5-File-Spec module
> > Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 18:34:01 +0200
> >
> >  On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 08:46:41AM -0700, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> >
> >  > >Synopsis:       p5-PodParser finding wrong p5-File-Spec module
> >
> >  This is a known (and dreaded) problem of updating perl modules that are
> >  included in the standard perl distribution.
> >
> >  Currently, you have two easy options to solve it:  remove the Spec.pm
> >  that is located in /usr/libdata/somewhere, or install recent version of
> >  lang/perl5 port, which does not have this problem.
>
> 	What about giving the user the opportunity to overwrite the system
> version? Having both on the system doesn't really buy you anything,
> because perl is (almost) always going to find the system version anyway?

That's what the current perl port does, more or less - it puts the
SITELIB and SITEARCH paths before PRIVLIB and ARCHLIB paths in @INC.
The same can be easily done to the base system perl - I've got to
discuss it with Mark - but it will only be useful to the followers of
-stable and not to the -release users.

=Anton.
--
| Anton Berezin                |      FreeBSD: The power to serve |
| catpipe Systems ApS   _ _ |_ |           http://www.FreeBSD.org |