Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 15:48:08 +0200
From:      Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
To:        'Steve Price' <sprice@hiwaay.net>, Ladavac Marino <mladavac@metropolitan.at>
Cc:        'Luigi Rizzo' <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

	[ML]  So you actually do BUILD all the ports?  In that case I
would value your opinion on speed disadvantages of the current system.

	Namely, I build only the ports I need, and I browse pretty often
through the DESC files in order to see if I can use something, which is
slow because DESC's are rather deep.  One single ports.pseudoshar file
would be great for this purpose, but not easily manageable.  Multiple
(pseudo)shars are hardly better than the current system, except that
they bust the NAMI cache somewhat less.

	I'll go for the unoptimized (read: not sorted) shar files
tonight.

	/Marino