Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 18:57:58 -0400
From:      Emperor of Florida <kruptos@mlinux.org>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Turning off sshd version display when someone telnets to port.

Okay,

On my router I run sshd just in case I need to connect to my computers
when I am away from home (this computer basically does NAT and firewalls
everything behind it).  I moved sshd to a different port than the
standard 22 just so most port scanners won't run across it  -- unless
they are scanning every single port.  In the case that someone scans
every port and sees this one open... I figure they might telnet to it to
see what it might be.

Currently when you telnet to it you will see:
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.6.1p1 YbrickRd

I was able to get the OS type off (which is why it reads YbrickRd) but I
would prefer that nothing at all shows up. Or, at the very least, that I
can change the message so it won't announce that is it ssh with its
version.  I know there must be a way to do this but I can't seem to find
it in the config file or the man pages.  When I searched on the web I
didn't find anything either.

Does anyone have a clue on how to make sshd shutup?

Kevin
--
The moon is a planet just like the Earth, only it is even deader.