Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 2000 16:07:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matt Rudderham <matt@researcher.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: Making an ISO

On Sunday,  1 October 2000 at  1:27:47 -0300, Matt Rudderham wrote:

Your messages would look a lot more legible if you changed your MUA.

>> A couple of days ago I sent a message to this list with a problem
>> when installing FreeBSD 4.1.1 with an ISO image that I recorded.
>> The error was when choosing the multimedia type as CD, with a
>> message saying the CD in the drive was not a FreeBSD CD or it was
>> an old version of FreeBSD, and did not contain a version number. I
>> received some replies but still I could not make it work.
>>
>> So, I was wondering through the 4.1.1-RELEASE directory, and found
>> a file named "cdrom.inf" that has a version number.  My question
>> is, I am supposed to burn these two files? 4.1.1-install.iso and
>> cdrom.inf? I only burned the .iso file.

The ISO should be enough.  How did you create it?

> The ISO file should not be burned by simply copying it to the
> CD. You should a program under Windoze such as FireBurner or CDRWin

No!  You should never need to use Microsoft if you have FreeBSD.  Why
do you suggest this?

> to burn the ISO, It is an image of all of files which should appear
> on the CD. Forgive me if I misunderstood your post, it appeared you
> burned the file straight to CD.

It's very likely that the original poster (whose name you have
omitted) didn't supply enough information, but that's no reason to
suggest using Microsoft.  I currently have a draft description of how
to create and burn ISOs at http://www.lemis.com/burncd.ps.  It only
covers SCSI (you need a different program, burncd, for that).  If
anybody can send me some sample output similar to the SCSI stuff, I'd
be grateful.

Greg
If you don't, I may ignore the reply.