Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 01:00:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: kern/4717: si driver names tty lines oddly

The following reply was made to PR kern/4717; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To: nsayer@quack.kfu.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 1997 15:53:51 +0800

 nsayer@quack.kfu.com wrote:

 > Specialix has a rather odd habit of misnaming the pins on their serial
 > ports. They come from the point of view that presumes that they are
 > providing DCE ports to connect to terminals.
 >
 > This is exactly backwards from the traditional viewpoint. Thus,
 > sicontrol mstate will say that RTS is asserted, when it really
 > means that CTS is asserted. Same with DTR/DSR.

 Specialix make several versions of the hardware, both DCE and DTE wiring.
 Unfortunately, I've never actually been able to get hold of DTE wired
 panels though. :-(  They seem more interested in having straight-through
 wiring for connecting PC's as terminals than for modems.

 Yeah, the docs do need some big red flashing lights about this.

 Cheers,
 -Peter
 --
 Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>   Netplex Consulting