Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:51:45 +0300 (MSK)
From:      Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
To:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
Cc:        Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>, David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: maxusers and random system freezes

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:37:21 +0300 (MSK)
> From: Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
> To: Varshavchick Alexander <alex@metrocom.ru>
> Cc: Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>,
>      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>,
>      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>,  <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
> Subject: Re: maxusers and random system freezes
>

> [ Trim -questions ]
>
> On 16:21+0300, Dec 19, 2002, Varshavchick Alexander wrote:
>
> > There seems to be archive posts already on the subject, the most
> > informative of them is here:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=1093170+1102546+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-stable/20010923.freebsd-stable
> >
> > Did this issue got solved somehow? More specifically, how the size of the
> > FFS node malloc area can be increased?
>
> Sounds like kern/32672.

Yes it does, but the problem seems to remain in 4.5-STABLE, how can it be
patched?

*****
       State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
       This is believed to be fixed in -stable (and thus for the upcoming 4.5
       release).  The problem was that the vnode/inode reclamation system depends
       on the VM system running out of memory and having to free vnodes/inodes up.
       Machines with large amounts of ram, however, will often run the malloc
       bucket for vnodes or inodes out before they run out of memory.

       Our solution is to enforce the kern.maxvnodes limit by proactively reclaiming
       vnodes/inodes when the limit is reached, even if there is still lots of free
       memory.
*****

Can you point me to a code performing it, if it's fixed in the latest
release?