Date:      Sat, 14 Sep 2002 02:49:41 +0200
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Windows as opposed to Other OS's

Brian writes:

> Trying it for a short time was no doubt the
> problem.

I tried running Windows XP for just thirty seconds, and it ran fine.  I've
been running it ever since.

> Getting X initially configured can be a pain,
> though it has greatly improved, but once you
> have it set up it stays set up better and requires
> less fiddling than Windows in my experience.

I didn't have to do anything to set up Windows XP; I just turned the machine
on.  I haven't had to fiddle with it at all since, either.

> I will say that the "mount" semantics (requiring
> that you mount the CD and/or floppy) *are* a real
> pain for the desktop.

Actually that is one of the few things that I like.  It emphasizes that
these media are not perpetually online.

> The lack of programs, especially games, is the
> only drawback I can see, and I don't happen to
> play games, so that's no loss.

I never play games, so I don't care about their availability.  But of the
hundreds of other programs I use on the desktop, only two or three work on
any flavor of UNIX.