Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 14:44:25 -0700
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L . Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-binup@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status

> I can see that there hasn't really been much traffic here, so what's the
> status of the project?
>
> I read about the binup project on the recent todolist from Jordan Hubbard
> about FreeBSD 5.0 and thought it might be interesting to help with.

Being busy in general, as well as other problems (usw4.freebsd.org
availability) have slowed us to a crawl for the last few months. That may
actually be for the better, because a few things probably ought to be
re-evaluated before moving forward.

Right now, my todo list looks like this:
 - coordinate packaging ideas with Alex and libh
 - put cvs server into a usable state
 - properly set up commit mail
 - apply getArgs patch (thanks Chris!)
 - translate ideas and plans from memory to sgml
 - rip apart the client library source
 - write client library

I'm not sure what Murray is up to at the moment, but he's probably busy
with the next release of the handbook. The server is usable enough to give
something to test client library code against, but eventually needs the
ability to provide items from a prior moment in time as well as whatever is
current.